Top 10 tips to become a Successful Freelance Writer
I often get queries from people asking me advice on how to became a freelance writer. I feel it is quite flattering but at the same time becomes difficult to explain each time. To make it easier on everyone, I figured it made sense to write about the top 10 tips to become a successful freelance writer and next time someone asks me, I can just pass them this link.
These days content writing has become one of the most common freelance activity one can do, sitting in the comfort of their homes. This does not mean anyone and everyone can become a successful freelance writer. Though it sounds easy, you need to possess a certain skill set to be successful, just like you need for any other job.
|Image courtesy: freedigitalphotos.net|
Here are the tips for you:
1) Love for writing: You need to love writing and have a flair for it. If you eat, sleep and dream writing, then this job is perfect for you. Not only will you need that passion but also the creativity to write on a variety of subjects.
2) Proficiency in grammar: Being proficient in grammar is a necessity. Without good grammar your writing will be like a ship without sails. Poor grammar will not get you good writing gigs and you will also earn significantly lower.
3) Passionate about reading : All successful writers read a lot as it helps them to not only increase their vocabulary, but also helps them to learn many different styles of writing.
4) Good typing skills: Since you will need to write a lot as a freelance writer, it is imperative that you develop good typing skills and know how to work on a computer.
5) Good vocabulary: Having a rich vocabulary will help you create content that is appealing to the reader, which in turn will pay you better.
6) Compromise: When you are just starting out as a freelance writer, you might find it difficult to find work. There are plenty of online sites that provide work where you can go and bid. You might have to quote a lesser price till you build your portfolio. Once you are established, you can ask for the price you want.
7) Start your own blog: This will give you an opportunity to exercise your grey cells. A blog will also help you to get feedback from readers. This will help you understand where you need to improve and what works with the readers.
8) Time management skills are important. As you will be working on your own, there will ample opportunities to get lost in the swirl of social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter. This can be disastrous and you can forget about your deadlines. You need to carefully plan all your assignments and stick to the timetable.
9) Make a good online profile. If you can have your own website, it will act as your online business card and help you get more work. Include the work you have done for clients in your website.
10) Last but not the least, patience and perseverance are inherent qualities of a good freelance writer. Even when you face difficulties the key to success is to keep searching for work with perseverance. You will take time to build a reputation so you need to be patient.
Hope these tips help you in your endeavour to becoming a freelance writer. If you are already an expert freelance writer, what has been your experience?
I would love to know your views.
wow, even though i don't have any idea about freelance writing but this, definitely, looks like a comprehensive list! some of the skill sets mentioned here are applicable in other fields as well.ReplyDelete
Thank you for writing this. I have been asked many times too. I would like to add doing some online courses to brush up your grammar and also to get a hang of American English that most of international writing gets done in. Also, developing a portfolio and penning a few articles before one starts asking for work is good as it gives experience and something to showcase.ReplyDelete
Thank you for the tips Vinita. Loved them all !ReplyDelete
Thanks Roshni :)ReplyDelete
Yes some of the skills do apply to other fields. Freelance writing is an art that needs practise.ReplyDelete
Yes these are very valid points Rachna. I had been thinking of writing this post since a long time. I get many queries and it is time consuming to answer each of them.ReplyDelete
Thanks Ruchira :)ReplyDelete
Very valid tips and pointers, Vinita. Thanks for sharing them :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Shilpa :) I am glad you liked it..ReplyDelete
Thanks for the tips, Vinita. Quite neat.ReplyDelete
Thank Susan :)ReplyDelete
The problem with being a freelance writer is, payment is very less and the competition is very high. Specialization is the key. If you can specialize in one aspect of freelancing (say technical writing), it's easier to get a higher pay.ReplyDelete
I am freelance writing the greatest blog ever. I know from funny and I'm funny.ReplyDelete
Hi I am here via Roshini's Page,ReplyDelete
Very useful tips for people who opt for freelancing as well as those who want to create a space at WWW
I appreciate you for posting it here for the benefit of other fellow writers
I agree that specialization is key. Also, once you build a portfolio with quite a few projects, you can quote a price that you want.ReplyDelete
Thanks. I am glad you liked my tips.
I have always dreamt of becoming a freelance writer. Those points are a lot of help. Thanks for sharing..ReplyDelete
This freedom in employment makes you have a more relaxed and flexible outlook on life.The decisions are fluid and simple.self-employedReplyDelete
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable.ReplyDelete
Can't tell you how glad I am to have stumbled upon the Ink for all text editor. Really like its grammar and spelling tips as well as how to rank better in Google. I wanted let other other content marketers know about it: https://seo.app/XzTXZsUH9